In 2019 the Synod of NSW & ACT passed a resolution to support youth action on climate, including the School Strike for Climate movement. Late last year the Synod and Uniting conducted a webinar hearing about what had been happening since the initial passing of the resolution and why the church continues to support this action.
This was hosted by journalist Julie McCrossin, who is also a member at South Sydney Uniting Church.
As part of the webinar we heard from young people in the church and UCA schools, Pasifika and First Nations speakers, as well as other church members and leaders. They were all responding from their different perspectives on why care for creation and action on climate matters to them and/or the wider church.
A great benefit of holding such an event online is that the webinar was recorded and is now available in six short videos:
- Michael Parker on his support for student participation in the climate strikes
- Uniting Church students speak about the climate strikes
- How faith motivates Christians to support the climate strikes
- First Nations and Pasifika voices for climate justice
- “I Am”, by Michael Ramaidama Utoni
- “The C Word”, by Rev. Dr Jason John
These videos are a useful resource for those considering questions around caring for the environment, Christian faith and discipleship and more.
These videos are accessible here for all to use.
Ofa Foiakau is the Field Officer (Central/West) and Youth/High School ministry lead as a part of the PULSE team.